Introducing THE CRIMINAL
In Adventure World, versatility, adaptability, and resourcefulness will carry you further than words or praying.
Bendrix, Buckley, Dixon, Dolarhyde, Leo, Nero, Prosser, Rook, Shade, Turpin
Amalia, Clodia, Dagny, Fox, Grace, Juli, Marozia, Mona, Sierra, Titania
Choose one set:
• Valor+1 Power+1 Moxie=0 Alert+2 Magic-1
• Valor+1 Power-1 Moxie+1 Alert+2 Magic=0
• Valor=0 Power+1 Moxie+1 Alert+2 Magic-1
• Valor=0 Power=0 Moxie+1 Alert+2 Magic=0
You get 1:
Night Moves: you are a member of a thieves’ guild and get 2-racket. Whenever there’s a stretch of downtime in play, or between sessions, choose a number of your jobs to work. Choose no more than your racket. Roll+alert. On a 10+, you get profit from all the jobs you chose. On a 7–9, you get profit from at least 1; if you chose more, you get catastrophe from 1 and profit from the rest. On a miss, catastrophe all around. The jobs you aren’t working give you neither profit nor catastrophe. Whenever you get a new job, you also get +1racket.
pretty much identical to the Operator's Moonlighting move
Then, choose 2:
Bat Out of Hell: when you defy danger, roll+alert instead of roll+valor.
Go Your Own Way: +1alert (Max Alert+3)
Reputation: identical to the Operator's Reputation move, uses roll+moxie
Sympathy for the Devil: when you are clearly unarmed, unarmored and surrendering, you cannot be harmed by any person present.
Take the Money and Run: When you are in close proximity to a person or could conceivably pass by them, you can try to swipe one of their belongings. Roll+alert. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 2:
• you can see what they have before you grab
• you get what you want, if it’s there
• you take it undetected
• nobody else can see you
On a miss, against an NPC they either catch you or you get nothing. Against another character, they get +2forward against you.
The First Cut is the Deepest: whenever you do damage to an opponent before they’ve done damage to you or been damaged by you, ignore armor.
Tools of the Trade: when you pick a lock or disable a trap, roll+alert. On a 10+, you do it. On a 7-9, choose 1:
• your tools break
• you set off the trap / jam the lock
• are caught in danger
On a miss, the MC chooses 2.
Your guild can consist entirely of the other players’ characters, or entirely of the MC’s characters, or any mix. If they include any of the MC’s characters, sketch them out — names (eg Gabble, Jaim, Pe, Wasted) and 1-line descriptions — with the MC. Make sure they’re competent and suited to the jobs you’ve chosen.
• 1 signature weapon
• oddments worth 1-gold
• thieves’ tools
• fashion suitable to your look, including at your option a piece worth 1-armor (you detail)
Signature weapon (choose 1):
• folding hand crossbow (1-harm ap ranged reload concealed)
• ornate dagger (2-damage melee valuable)
• hidden knives (2-damage thrown infinite)
• ornate sword (3-damage melee valuable)
• antique sword (2-damage melee rare)
Everyone introduces their characters by name, look and outlook.
Take your turn.
List the other characters’ names.
Go around again for Hx. On your turn, choose 1 or both:
• One of them once faced down dedicated violence to get you out of a fix. Tell that player Hx+2.
• One of them once let you down in a pinch and left you holding the bill. Tell that player Hx-1.
Tell everyone else Hx+1.
On the others’ turns:
• For everyone, whatever number they tell you, give it -1 or +1 and write it next to the character’s name. Your choice for each.
At the end, find the character with the highest Hx on your sheet. Ask that player which of your stats is most interesting, and highlight it. The MC will have you highlight a second stat too.
If you give another character a gift worth 1-gold or more, choose one:
• You take +1Hx and they take -1Hx.
• You take -1Hx and they take +1Hx.
Whenever another character takes something from you that you don’t want them to take (gold, a weapon, a lover, etc.), you take +1forward.